Scholarship, Grants for Children of Disabled Parents

Paying for college is a big expense that many parents undertake. However, when a parent becomes disabled, they may worry about their child’s post-graduate educational needs. College is expensive. Even if a child chooses to go to a local community school, it can be an overwhelming financial burden. Thankfully, there are many grants that a student can get when their parent has a disability. Here are some of the best grants ones out there.

Through the Looking Glass

Assisting families who have a disabled parent is what Through The Looking Glass does. They have a program that will help students who have at least one disabled parent. To be eligible for the grant, a student must either be a high school senior or already in college. They must also be under 21 years of age. They award 10 scholarships each year, and they are $1,000 each.

Paralyzed Veterans of America

Paralyzed Veterans of America help students who are under the age of 24 and unmarried. The student must also be reliant on a paralyzed veteran. The organization was founded in 1986. Since that time, they have given out more than $300,000 in scholarships. To qualify, parents must be a member of the organization. Each April, they post the applications for the following year, and awards are given over the summer.

The National MS Society Scholarship Program

Any child who has a parent that suffers from MS can get assistance for school. The MS Society Scholarship gives students a maximum benefit of $3,000 per year. They can be flexible with their award amount if there is an extreme financial need or other extenuating circumstances. As of 2010, the agency has awarded over $1 million each year. They accept applications up until January 14th, with the application period beginning in October. Those who receive this award will be notified in the late spring.

Dependents of Correctional Officers

The spouse or child of a corrections officer, who is at least 90 percent disabled, and lives in the state of Illinois, can qualify for this grant. They will pay for tuition as well as any fees for an ISAC-approved school. The amount of the award is conditional, but they will offer assistance for up to 12 semesters. The financial aid office at the college has these applications on file.

National Center for Parents with Disabilities Scholarship

The Department of Education administers this scholarship. A student must be under 21 years of age as well as have one parent that is disabled. Both high school and college students are eligible.

LEPD and Georgia Public Safety Memorial Grant

The child of a public safety officer in the state of Georgia can get help for college. If the parent was killed or disabled while on duty, they may receive financial help. The Georgia Lottery funds this grant, and the award varies with the cost of attendance. It is based on the leftover cost after other grants and scholarships have been credited to the student’s account. The local financial aid office can help students so that they can process the application.

Pierce College-Protect and Serve Grant 

Anyone who is actively serving or has retired from public service, including those that served as veterans of the armed forces, can qualify for this grant. This also includes their spouses and dependent children. Any classes taken at Peirce College will be discounted 25 percent. This applies to both college courses taken on campus and online in Philadelphia.

Roger Williams University Memorial Fire and Police Department Grant

Anyone who has a parent or grandparent that serves in the Bristol Police Department in Bristol, RI, can qualify for this grant. It is a full four-year award that will pay for college. The applications are handed out at the university's financial aid office.

These are a few of the grants available for students who have disabled parents. Education is important and to get a good job, students will need to have a degree. Even though financial issues can be troubling when attending college, these programs offer some assistance. The requirements and award amounts can change, so, be sure to check with your local college office for more information.